AR-88 radio and its seller on eBay --

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 27 13:44:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:32 PM, The Pollacks <rinkies at att.net> wrote:
> Follow up on my recent post giving a possible scenario:
>
> In the "ME" display on EBay for this seller, he says that many of the items
> he sells come from "Freight Overage" auctions.  I'm not sure what that
> means, but I bet it has something to do with items that the freight company
> owned after paying insurance claims!

Now that is interesting, considering UPS found the missing box and the
cover had been removed (unscrewed) and radio was gone. Not exactly
what you'd expect if the item had been damaged or fallen out. Mike had
the UPS store pack the item and the store owner also made a custom
crate for it. Makes you wonder if someone who works there tried to
swipe it, got it out and discovered it was a computer or super stereo,
and left it lying around.

The receiver was intended to be a gift for a longtime friend of mine,
so it was a bit of a letdown to have this happen. Even worse for Mike,
since he had to deal with settling things up with me then deal with
UPS. Mike gave me a very good price to start with, allowing the
crating and shipping to remain affordable. He was upfront and honest
with me about every little aspect of the deal, just as he had been in
a previous deal for a piece of commercial BC gear. Would be nice if
all sellers were as easy to deal with.

Funny part is - Mike had collected most of the original knobs for it,
and sent me those as well. I had them boxed up to send out a while
ago, but got sidetracked my my house move and had them in the truck to
send out this week, then spotted the AR88 posting on the RCA list
yesterday. Strange...

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ