More ebay problems

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Wed Aug 27 21:20:11 EDT 2008

The way I handle it is to:
1.   Use the EBAY shipping calculator - that will automatically crank in the distance for the bidder
2.   Use only the shipping choices they have for quoting but offer alternatives to winning bidder after they win. You can score big points by providing lower shipping costs.  E.G. use UPS Ground for bidding and then offer FedEx later.
3.   Don't forget to allow a sufficient large handling fee to cover the very real costs of packaging material as well as time and bother to pack, carry to shipping point, etc.

Remember the point is to provide all the bidders a good idea of what it will cost them to ship the item so they can factor that into their bid.  As the seller you don't want to be hurt financially but EBAY wants happy bidders!  Speaking as a sometimes bidder, I want to know what it will cost to for shipping and handling. I don't want vague promises - I want a dollar figure!  Now -- before I make my bid.

If you bid and don't know what your shipping costs are then may the good Lord have mercy on your soul because the bidder may not. Some will do right by you - other's will not. If you get stuck, chalk it up as a learning experience.  A good friend of my wife's bid on a sewing machine from England. No shipping cost specified. She won (!!) with a bid of $15.  The shipping cost her over $200!!!!!  And then it arrived poorly packed and all busted up.  Ouch.

Yes, as a seller, it is a pain to figure out the shipping expenses before hand.  But that is part of the game. As a bidder, I expect a known shipping cost.  Frankly, for small items, that is why I love USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail!  Sweet and simple.  Even better on small items is just saying FREE SHIPPING and building the cost into the starting bid. Along with listing cost and PayPal fees.  All costs of doing business.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

----- Original Message ----
From: Lloyd KK7IZ <kk7iz at COX.NET>
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:36:07 PM
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] More ebay problems

I just tries to place a 100+ lb piece of lab equipment on ebay. Ran into the
shipping nazi's. Seems you have to specify weight,size and carrier. How can
you calculate shipping when you don't know where it is going? They do not
give FedEx as an option. Any body know away around this load of crap?
Thanx
Lloyd  KK7IZ
kk7iz at cox.net