A LOT TO DO ABOUT NOTHING - HEATHKIT MANUALS

W3DBJ w3dbj at COMCAST.NET
Sun Dec 14 19:26:24 EST 2008

Terry,

The inclusion of owners manuals as part of the intellectual property is
dubious from a legal standpoint, due to the number of years that they have
been publicly available with no action being taken by Heath or their Agents.
There is also a very grey area, since the "intellectual property" contained
therein, equated to a complete knowledge transfer from Heath to the builder
of that product - Therefore, the Heath company released the information with
the intent that it would be shared between them and the owner/builder of the
kit, and there was no explicit agreement in place to prevent aforementioned
party from further sharing the knowledge that was transferred to the kit
builder.

Notwithstanding, the Fair Use Act in the United States: Article I, § 8, cl.
8, which states that copyright material may be shared under Fair Use for,
and I quote: "the Progress of Science and useful Arts". Use of this material
also does not "affect the original copyright owner's ability to exploit his
original work" - since Heath are no longer the copyright holders.

I have a FTP server, and if anyone wants to email me, I will create an
upload account for them to upload strictly Heathkit build instructions and
circuit diagrams, and let the cards fall where they may.

Darryl