Variac

J Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Sun Feb 3 14:10:32 EST 2008

Generally I agree with your comments. In a recent conversation with a technology museum
curator, the difference between 'conservation' and 'restoration' was pointed out to me.
IMO, conservation is good, restoration is not.

Anyway, after a thorough visual check, I pull the rectifier tubes, and then apply line
power from a power limited source, like a lamp and variac. If that's OK, I apply B+
stepwise with the filaments off and reform the capacitors. Only then do I put in the
rectifier tube and apply AC carefully.

FWIW,
-John