Mobile Antenna Help

Richard Arland, W3OSS richard.arland at VERIZON.NET
Mon Feb 4 21:25:29 EST 2008

I suppose you're wondering why I called this meeting!!

Actually, I am in need of a solution for my mobile HF antenna. I got talked
into buying a High Sierra Sidekick screwdriver mobile antenna. It is
extremely short (around 4 ft or so fully extended) but according to the
folks at High Sierra, it is capable of 80-10M operation.

Now I realize that this is all manufacturer's hype but as we all know if you
add enough capacitance and inductance in line with the antenna you can get
it to  resonate almost anywhere. Radiation efficiency is something entirely
different, and much harder to realize.

So, my situation is this: I have mounted the screwdriver antenna on the rear
cross member of the roof rack on my wife's Nissan Pathfinder SUV. I have
tried the antenna on various HF frequencies including 80 and 40 meters.
While it does resonate, my 100 watts of RF output doesn't radiate
efficiently.

I have thought about adding a ground plane to the roof rack in the form of
copper or aluminum tape. In the days of slot cars, we  used copper tape
which was positioned on each side of the "slot" in the track, and the motor
inside the slot car had a set of pickups that would contact the copper
strips providing voltage for the motor. Unfortunately, there is a definite
shortage of this copper tape. About as close as I can come to it is the
aluminum duct tape used to seal heating duct work. It is conductive and I
was thinking of placing this on the UNDERSIDE of the roof rack and
connecting each end of it to the ground portion of the antenna mount. I have
anticipated adding a ground plane so I added some wing nuts to the lower
portions of the antenna mount.

My general question to this group is: Do you think that this is a workable
solution to the RF counterpoise problem on this mobile installation?? If
not, don't be shy, tell me what you have used in the past (or present) that
works for you. I am open to any and all suggestions (within reason, of
course).

I was wandering around Home Depot yesterday and spied a bunch of 3/4 inch
copper pipe used for plumbing. The thought immediately crossed my mind to
use this, along with some 90 degree elbows to form a tubular counterpoise,
paint it black (to match the roof rack) and place it on the underside of the
roof rack, holding it in place with a few black plastic cable ties. The
extra area might drastically improve the RF counterpoise and make the
antenna perform as advertised. Just a thought.

Comments, anyone??

73 Rich W3OSS