RF Ammeter Help

J Forster jfor at QUIK.COM
Sun Feb 24 15:45:47 EST 2008

Some RF ammeters need an external thermocouple assembly. Look at the writing on the meter face. Also, try a VOM's ohmmeter. If the meter kicks, you need a TC.

If an external TC is not needed, you can usually apply DC current to see if it's working. Start very low, in case the TC is not indicated on the face. See above.

If you in fact have a ot wire RF ammeter, you may well need an RF current transformer,  otherwise the meter guts will be at antenna voltage.

Is this from a BC-442 type surplus unit?

Best,

-John

You can see if you need a shunt