Capacitor replacement quandary (micamolds)

Bob Groh WA2CKY rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Mon Jan 21 12:51:08 EST 2008

My vote is to go ahead and change out the capacitors for new, modern ones. I think (for whatever that is worth!) that is better to have these older pieces of equipment in operational shape than be 'picture perfect' but not working. Additionally it certainly sounds like Al Parker does a very nice job on his restorations so that again tilts the answer toward (again in my opinion) replacing the capacitors.

73
Bob, WA2CKY

----- Original Message ----
From: Al Parker <anchor at EC.RR.COM>
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 9:09:56 AM
Subject: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Capacitor replacement quandary (micamolds)

Hi folks,
    Micamolds are paper, they're lousy in the URM-25 sig. gen.s, etc.
    I'm working on a Millen 92105 Sideband Adapter, something that's
 not
found often.  First off, if anyone can help me with a schematic, I'd be

greatly appreciative.  There is a little info out there on it, but no
 skem.
that I found.  I've re-stuffed the 2x20mf at 450v filter cap, put in a
 3-wire
line cord, and powered it up slowly and briefly, after close
 inspection.  It
has signs of life, but low B+ at the tube pins, largely due to leaky
micamolds, some of which got warm rather quickly.  The wiring and
 components
are very compact and it'll be a challenge to do a nice neat job of any
replacements.
    My quandary is:  what should I use to replace the micamolds?
  Normally I
don't worry much about using "modern" disc ceramics to replace old
 BBOD's,
brown waxy papers, etc., but this is a unique piece of eqpt.  Some guys
 will
re-stuff the brown waxy paper jobs to make things look original, but
 that's
not feasible for micamolds, and might not back fit in easily, it's so
 tight.
Those that I can see the markings on are .01's.  I have some small,
brownish, .01 discs, should I just use them, at least they're not
 glaring
orange like some are, and will fit nicely in the larger spaces left by
 the
M-M's.
    I'm interested in opinions & suggestions, and hope there'll be no
offense taken if I don't follow yours.
    I've been having fun for the last week or so going thru and
 comparing
several different SB adapters.  Using an SP-600 as the IF provider.
tnx, 73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC
www.boatanchors.org