Clock

rick darwicki n6pe at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 21 23:40:05 EDT 2008

Thanks for all the comments WWVB and all.
I took the carbon buttons for various time zones out of the clock and I'm waiting to see if when it syncs it defaults to good old GMT or UTC or Zulu
Does not look like diode or jumper solution is at hand.
Report to follow.
 Rick Darwicki -= N6PE =-
http://www.qsl.net/n6pe/

----- Original Message ----
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid at LMCENG.COM>
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:07:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ Re: Atomic Clock]

I'm pleased to read this. Perhaps LaCrosse has chosen to use a clock
chip that allows selectable ±11 hours of offset in all their clocks. Of
course, this would need different receivers to function in Europe, where
the time signal is on (I believe) 76 KHz or so; only WWVB in Ft. Collins
transmits on 60 KHz and that signal is not received worldwide.

Unrelated, but interesting, is that a radiant barrier thermal insulating
material of aluminized paper installed in my attic under the roof
significantly affected reception of the WWVB signal and where I could
place the clocks for good operation; now, they work most reliably if
placed on an outer wall.

Larry

Glen Zook wrote:
> Several months ago my wife bought an "atomic clock" at WalMart for around $20.  It has remote temperature and inside temperature features.  This clock can DEFINITELY be set to UTC.  In fact, it can be set to any time zone.  The manual can be seen (and downloaded if desired) from
>
> http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/6118it/manual.pdf
>
> The clock was sold by Lacrosse Technology (located in Wisconsin) and is their model 6118it.  How to set the time zone is on page 3 of the manual and there is also provision for areas that do not go on DST.
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)