viking valiant

Rodger wq9e at DTNSPEED.NET
Wed Jul 23 23:36:01 EDT 2008

Jack,

It has been awhile since I have been inside my Valiant but I seem to
recall that there are two brackets on either side of the top of the VFO
that attach to the front panel so this may be where your missing parts
should go.

The brass piece does contain the ball reduction drive and it may need
cleaning and lubrication while you have it out.  On most of the Johnson
gear I have that use these I have had to take them apart, clean out the
old grease, and relube.  Just take digital photos or make a diagram as
you take it apart so that you can put it back together properly (but
there are not many parts so it is pretty simple-just don't lose the ball
bearings inside).  If you do have to take it apart when you tighten the
two halves of the brass housing back together this sets the load on the
ball reduction unit.  If it is too loose the drive will slip, too tight
and the tuning will be very stiff.  Set it by feel and it is not that
critical.  The pointer mounts to the shaft driving the VFO tuning
capacitor so the orientation of the reduction drive doesn't affect it.

CAUTION:  Whenever you have reason to turn the Valiant upside down first
loosen the screws on the phenolic coupler on the VFO or otherwise this
fragile part is likely to break!

While you have things apart, replace the VR tube dropping resistor in
the VFO with a higher wattage unit (10 watts is good).  This can be done
through the side of the VFO case and does not require complete VFO
disassembly.

Also check the wiring to the 866A tube cathodes, in early Valiants
regular hookup wire was used and it is not up to the voltage (since the
HV appears on these wires).  The result is the wires arc and short to
ground potentially taking out the low voltage transformer which supplies
the heater voltage for the 866A tubes.  If you are using tube
rectifiers, either use good quality heat shrink to provide additional
insulation over these wires or replace the wire with better insulated
wire.  If you have gone to SS HV rectifiers, then unsolder these leads
and insulate the ends which will keep the HV off of the leads (and the
LV transformer).

73, Rodger WQ9E