DX100B

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 17 11:46:55 EDT 2008

I have both the Collins S-Line and the Heath SB-Line
with AADE digital readouts.  Both stabilize within 5
minutes of being turned on and hold to the last count
(10 Hz) on the readouts.  It takes less than 30
seconds for the Collins to come on frequency and the
drift is less than 10 Hz per minute until it
stabilizes.

The Heath takes a little longer, usually about 2 to 3
minutes before the drift gets down to the 10 Hz level
and then after about 5 minutes holds at the last
count.

I don't have any Drake equipment but I have worked on
them.  Generally they are pretty stable after a warm
up.  However, not as good as the Collins or Heath.

Now the Heath HW-10X series is a different matter!
They are usually quite a bit more stable than the old
VF-1, DX-100, and Apache, but they definitely move
around.

It depends on the solid-state equipment.  Most of them
are pretty stable these days.  However, depending on
the exact model they can drift a little especially
before "warming up".  Also, especially in the smaller
sized transceivers they can drift a little on long
transmissions (from the heat generated in the final
amplifier).  Not bad, but still in the 20 to 30 Hz
range which most people will not even notice.

Glen, K9STH

--- Bry Carling <bcarling at CFL.RR.COM> wrote:

G. Zook sayeth...

The Collins S-Line, the Heath SB-Line, and generally
the Drake 4-Line can hold their own with "modern"
equipment.

I am pretty sure thios is not right, Glenn. I know it
is incorrect if you are talking about the first 30
minutes after switching them on.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com