Crystal Calibrator question

The Pollacks rinkies at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 21 00:26:39 EDT 2008

Small corrections:  The markers are every 100 KHz (KC in those days), not 1
KHz.  Also, at least on the 2B, the calibrator was an extra cost option:
The receiver was  $279.95, calibrator $16.95, 2BQ Q mult/Speaker $39.95, and
2BS speaker alone $16.95.  Ref. AES ad, CQ, Sept. 1962, p89.

BTW, Does anyone have experience with the 2BQ?  I just got one for my 2B,
and it doesn't seem to work!

Ron K2RP

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Garey Barrell
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:33 AM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Crystal Calibrator question

Phil -

The Drake 2-AC crystal calibrator is a 100 kHz calibrator and is
designed to plug into the chassis of the Drake 2-A, 2-B and 2-C
receivers.  Harmonics appear as "markers" every 1 kHz up through 30 MHz,
and are used to adjust the tuning dial so that the 100 kHz marks are
aligned with the dial pointer.  The main dial window slides back and
forth by the little red button on the right-hand side of the dial, and
the calibrated metal plate behind the main tuning knob also slips to set
a mark against the line on the front panel.

Most quality receivers had such a calibrator circuit up to the
development of the synthesizer controlled receivers.  Although the
calibrator was standard in the receiver when new, E* has encouraged
unplugging it to sell separately, for insanely high prices.  There are
several kit form calibrators available for less than $10 that work just
as well, but are not "original".   I'm just waiting for the E* crowd to
discover that the tubes unplug..........

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line & TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

spalletta wrote:
> dose anyone know what does a Crystal Calibrator

<http://cgi.ebay.com/Drake-2-AC-Crystal-Calibrator_W0QQitemZ160219504916QQih
Z006QQcategoryZ4673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>