[Boatanchors] Re: High Power HF BA's?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 29 20:40:23 EDT 2008

NO!

The Hallicrafters units are rated at INPUT power, not
output power.  Generally efficiencies around 65% are
what you are going to see in terms of output.  Some
units will make 70% on 80 meters and often 40 meters
with new final amplifier tubes.  But, getting any more
output efficiency is a rare occurance.

The SR-400 is rated at 400 watts input which means an
average of around 260 watts peak output (less on 10
meters).

The SR-400A is rated at 550 watts input which means an
average of around 360 watts peak output (again less on
10 meters).

The SR-500 is rated at 500 watts input which means an
average of around 325 watts peak output (again less on
10 meters).

The SR-750 is rated at 750 watts input which means an
average of around 490 watts peak output so this rig
does meet your standards.

The Yaesu FTdx570 is rated at 550 watts input which
means an average of around 360 watts peak output.

Again, you have to remember that the specifications
for "boat anchor" transmitters were almost always
given in terms of INPUT power and not output power.

As I mentioned in a previous message quite a number of
AM transmitters will meet your criteria in the fact
that the peak output power of a 100% modulated signal
is 4 times the carrier output.  The peak power maximum
is the main reason that those who operate AM got the
"short end of the stick" with the current FCC maximum
peak power regulation of 1500 watts.  That means AM
transmitters are generally limited to 375 watts
carrier output.

Glen, K9STH

--- kd4e <doc at kd4e.com> wrote:

> UPDATED ...
>
> HF Transceivers including AM, CW, & SSB with high
> power output, minimum
> 450W PEP Output.
>
> The rigs below appear to meet that criteria, are
> there
> others?
>
> TRANSCEIVER			POWER OUTPUT

> Hallicrafters SR-400 "Cyclone"  SSB/CW  400W
> Hallicrafters SR-400A "Cyclone III"  SSB/CW  550W
> Hallicrafters SR-500 "Tornado"  SSB/CW  500W
> Hallicrafters SR-540            SSB/CW  ?W
> Hallicrafters SR-2000 "Hurricane" SSB/CW  2KW
> Johnson Viking Invader 2000 AM: 500W SSB: 1KW CW:
> 600W
> National NCX-1000 AM: 300W, SSB: 570W (PEP), CW:
> 570W
> Swan 700CX  SSB: 450W
> Yaesu FT-DX570  SSB: 550W
>
> AM-Only Transceiver: