[Boatanchors] Re: [From Your Hallicrafters Reflector] FS: Heathkit, Hallicrafters, HP, National, TenTec and More

Jim Simmons orion at DATASYNC.COM
Wed May 21 22:53:26 EDT 2008

I was an instructor at Keesler AFB during the 1960's, and to my best
recollection we were told to change our POI's (Plan of Instruction) and
Lesson Plans from CPS to Hertz in 1968.  Most of us didn't like the idea
because cycles per second clearly illustrated what frequency meant, and
Hertz was just a name...But so were Ohm and Ampere proper names.  The more
we used the 'new' term the more we got used to it.

Jim, N5MSJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Glen Zook
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:19 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [Boatanchors] Re: [From Your Hallicrafters Reflector] FS:
Heathkit, Hallicrafters, HP, National, TenTec and More

Wikipedia is wrong!  The term "Hertz" was adopted in
October of 1933 by the International Electrotechnical
Commission.  Now it was not generally used in the
United States until the 1960s.  But, the term
definitely was adopted in 1933.

See

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/263882/hertz

for details.  Frankly, I respect the Encyclopedia
Britannica MUCH more than Wikipedia!

Glen, K9STH

--- J Forster <jfor at quik.com> wrote:

Nope. It was adopted in the 1970s when units were
reorganized into the SI system. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com