[Boatanchors] Collins 75A-2,-3,-4

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 27 09:41:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 4:25 PM, J Forster <jfor at quik.com> wrote:
> Do you know if they've gone up or down significantly?

John -

My experiences have shown anything made in significant numbers
(75A-4s, KWM-2As, etc) have come down considerably in the 'top dollar'
ebay world of prices. I remember routinely seeing RE KWM-2As selling
for $2K-$3K, Clean 75A-4s bringing $1.5K-$3K, and so on earlier in
this century. Market saturation and a waning interest seems to have
corrected prices somewhat, KWM-2As seldom breaking the $1K mark
($500-$800 seems average) and 75A-4s showing a similar correction.

Of course, those who swear that ebay is 'the' market price will
disagree, but beyond the scarce/rare items, the halcyon days of BA
sales have passed IMO. I also know that like me, you find things in
other places for much lower prices, which underlines this point.

BTW - my view of the A-Line receivers is: 75A-1 has the best audio for
AM use and is easiest to tune SSB with (excluding the A-4 which was
designed for SSB), but lacks 160. Cool 'band in use' lighted dial,
too. 75A-4 is a reasonable compromise on audio while providing a true
SSB product detector, mechanical filters in varying degrees, and that
wonderful passband tuning for QRN issues. Probably the best 'battle
mode' receiver of the era, along with being extremely stable,
sensitive, and selective for its time. Also an all-around good
compromise for AM, CW, and SSB in one box. Still a great, flexible
receiver today.

75A-2/A-3 run $250-$600 on average, the A-3 being an A-2 with dual
filter assembly added. Recently sold a 75A-2A (A-2 upgraded w/filter
kit) to Vortex Joe 'IBX for $200 w/cabinet and manual. Someone had
added an octal plug to the rear apron, otherwise it was very clean.

If you can only have one, spend a little more and get the A-4. Plan on
spending $600 to a kilobuck for a decent example, depending on age,
condition, and filters installed. You can pay more, of course.  (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ