AR-88 receiver that appears to be the one stolen from me --

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 8 12:45:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:14 PM, W3DBJ <w3dbj at comcast.net> wrote:
> I had a similar situation a few years ago, where I actually bought an R-390A
> for $2 at auction by a company that specialized in "Lost and Found"
> auctions. The item was reported stolen, and the insurance company had paid
> the owner for it and other electronic items that were taken. The rig ended
> up at auction because it was recovered by police several states away from
> its original location, and the owner couldn't be contacted at the address on
> record and it went unclaimed.
>
> Maybe the seller did get the radio legitimately. If it's stolen/recovered
> property, this DOES happen.

Over the weekend there was a story on FoxNews about a very rare
(somewhere around 50 made) late 50s Ferrari that was stolen in Spain
back in 1992 and shipped here. The owner never accepted a claim for it
as he felt it was unique enough that no one would part it out. He was
right, it showed up recently in CT.

Once you file a claim and accept payment, you no longer own the item,
even if found. It's no longer considered stolen apparently, unless the
insurer wants to go after the crook. Few ever do because of the cost
vs the benefit to their bottom line.

The seller is well within his right to sell it, having bought it
legally by all accounts so far. What's right morally and what's right
monetarily to a company like UPS are two very different critters.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ