[Boatanchors] Upgrade question

Bob Hardie- W5UQ W5EUQ at VERIZON.NET
Mon Sep 15 18:31:15 EDT 2008

sounds like me but ten years earlier for me... in 1954 I was 14 yrs old,
drove to Little Rock Arkansas from Ft Smith Arkansas (3hr drive), with
my parents and took the Novice test,,  I passed.  In 1956 we drove to
Kansas City(5 to 6 hours) took 3rd and 2nd FCC Radio Telephone.. passed
3rd... (I had only studied two weeks)... then in 1957, 17 yrs old, my
mom and I drove to Dallas, 6 hrs drive one way... I took 2nd and 1st...
passed 2nd.... then in Jan. 1958, barely 18 yrs old,  I drove again with
my new wife and passed the FIRST CLASS RADIO TELEPHONE FCC LICENSE TEST...

I had been working in a TV station since Dec 1956 as film
editor/cameraman..and had made it to Film Director and Head Cameraman by
the time I got my first class....
Sorry to bore you with this... Have a good day and ain't it neat to
reminisce...?

Bob   W5UQ    formerly W5EUQ for 53 yrs....just lost the
Echo....Echo.....echo.......

Schichler, Alfred (GE EntSol, Digital Energy) wrote:
Another not so dramatic story, but it is fun bringing back the old
memories....

I was lucky that they were giving FCC exams at the local Rochester
Hamfest, so I took my General there in 1965 (at the ripe old age of 15).
Luckily I passed it. Three or four years later, I drove to Buffalo,
about 70 miles away, with
several ham friends and my brother (I was old enough to drive then), to
take my Advanced test, which I passed, but I can't say the same for all
of us. The examiner there was a stern little old(er) lady with a
mustache. I ran into her again around 8 years later when I took my FCC
Second and Third Class commercial exams.

In the late 70's, They were still giving exams at the local Hamfest, so
I decided to take my Extra test there. How they could read my sloppy
scribbling from trying to copy 20 WPM, I'll never know, but I passed.

Al, WA2AS