need help identifying device

Jim Bromley, K7JEB k7jeb at COX.NET
Mon Sep 29 12:50:46 EDT 2008

WSHU Engineering2 wrote:
> > My assistant  Tony just picked this Frankenstein device up at a live
> > auction.....

> > Here is where it gets weird. The tuning cap is labeled Aux volume
> > control, and a grid series resistor is labeled Main Volume Control.

What you have is an old-fashioned, and dangerous, diathermy machine.
It was used to deep-heat (ie: cook) body tissues.  The "volume"
controls are actually output controls that the "doctor" would adjust
to get the right effect.

Missing from your description are the application electrodes
which would look like a couple of heating pads and would connect
to the device through a couple of largish banana jacks on the
front panel.

Do us all a favor and don't sell it on E-Bay.  Or if you really
must, then disconnect the power cord from the HV transformer
before you ship it.

Jim, K7JEB

This list is a public service of the City of Tempe, Arizona

Subscription control -
Archives -

More information about the Boatanchors mailing list