[Boatanchors] Imagine a world without hamfests

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 14 16:47:40 EDT 2009

Okay, let's try a relatively short easy list here.

First off, Robert, I have to delay until the next pension check (VA,
100% disability) comes because of budgeting around fixed expenses and
previously earmarked funds.  Sadly, hamfests aren't timed to meet the
VA's schedule.  Second, I do have PayPal or can have my bank cut
checks which are immediately deducted from my account.  The checks are
especially nice since I can pre-schedule them so they go out on the
1st or 2nd of the month.  Pretty cool, huh!

Anyway, the short list in no particular order ...

1.) Roller coil and antenna relay assembly for a 52211 (same as
BC-459) ATA transmitter.  I think I have the rest of the parts to
complete mine.

2.) A recoverable T-19/ARC-5 and sufficient parts to replace
whatever's missing.  ( I can fill holes etc but rebuilding sawn off
chasses et al is a little outside my shop's capabilities at the
moment.)

3.) The aforementioned hacked BC-348Q so I can do some experimenting.

4.) A DM-28 for my good BC-348Q

5.) A long shot: a manual for the BC-**-183 BFO used with the early
SCR-A*-183 sets - or at least the receivers thereof - for CW.

6.) A bunch of the angled pieces on the front & back of Model
D-derived equipment (GF/RU and SCR-A*-183/-283) that have the snap
slides on them.

and finally (newly added) ...

7.) Board-mounted tube sockets, knobs, dials and other goodies
appropriate to the 1930s homebrew breadboard transmitters made of
stuff stripped from earlier receivers ... although I can also get
these from a place in Ohio that specializes in such cuddly stuff.

I also like CW keys and prior to moving here (and having to unload
everything I had) I had seven or eight different ones.  While I have
two ChiCom ones that need work to be brought up to being merely
miserable and a Navy 26003A flameproof, eventually I'd like a prewar
one to go with the Brandes or Baldwin (or Murdoch?) headsets that will
be used with the early rig.

At some future time, we'll get into the other ARA/ATA equipment,
AN/ARC-5 dual Tx rack, GF/RU setup, BC-223-AX (with extra
pre-perverted tuning units to put onto 160 & 40m) to go with my
BC-312, working KWM-2A (with the full crystal kit, mobile power supply
and wide range antenna autotuner) for under $200*, HW/SB-10x with
mobile supply (and tuner, if possible) that can be brought back to
life with some effort, and other things too manini to mention.  :-)

*Note: While nice, I was just seeing if anyone got this far.  I don't
believe miracles of that order exist in this reality.  If I did, it
would have a 51S-1 receiver to go with it.  ;-D

There is no hurry on anything.  I'm not going anywhere and I have
other projects to work on while I wait - steam, compressed gas &
electric engines; controls for the drive motors and steppers for the
lathes; continuing with the design of a DDS-controlled multiband
SSB/CW/RTTY rig; fixing up a couple laptops; having congress revalue
the square root of 2 as 1.5 since 1.414 is too hard to work with; and
other monumental tasks.

Wasn't that easy?

BEst regards,

Michael, WH7HG