Are 813's suitable for HF SSB?

kd4e doc at KD4E.COM
Wed Feb 25 21:46:43 EST 2009

I am reading totally divergent opinions online about the potential for dual
813's on HF for 1KW PEP (SSB).

On one hand there are amps with dual 813's producing only 400W PEP and
other sites claim 1KW 160-10M.

I am also reading that 813's may be unsuitable for SSB but fine for AM-CW,

"Although a pair of 813s was perfect for legal limit operation on CW and
AM,
the tube was unable to supply the high peak inputs permitted in single
sideband
operation, and thus the popularity of the tube dropped as SSB became the
preferred
mode over AM." then other Hams say that they are wonderful G-G amps with
excellent SSB performance.

Here are three samples of sites promoting the 813:
http://www.wb8erj.com/813input.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/wieser/813amp.htm
http://members.westnet.com.au/page3/two_813_grounded_grid_RF_amplifier.htm

I had been looking at a GS-35B, GU-43B, or dual GI-7B design for the small
size and solid performance.

WDYT?

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E