FW: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Here is Where the 813's are Going Now

Scott Johnson scottjohnson1 at COX.NET
Fri Jan 9 15:55:14 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Johnson [mailto:scottjohnson1 at cox.net]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 1:52 PM
To: 'Paul Kraemer'; BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: RE: [BOATANCHORS-TEMPE] Here is Where the 813's are Going Now

The transformers (probably toroidal) are behind the cover plate in the rear.
Single ended class "A" triode amps are quite nice when driving efficient
speakers, such as Klipschorns.  811s, 211s, 845s,etc. are all quite common
for SET amps, mostly due to their low cost an availability. Why not a triode
connected 813?  They are cheap.  The lower power triodes such as 45s, 2A3s,
and WE 300Bs are astronomical in price.  To mee it is the same kind of
economical thinking that drove the multiple sweep tube amps in the sixties
and seventies.
BTW, could we possibly dispense with the disparaging remarks about other
groups?  It is getting quite old, petty and childish. All attributes
commonly assigned to our fraternity by outsiders.  Perhaps a bit of
introspection is in order.

Scott V. Johnson W7SVJ
5111 E. Sharon Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254