Hallicrafters MK-3 update

Eric Lawson elawson at INFICAD.COM
Mon Jan 19 17:46:43 EST 2009

Thanks.

I've got the ER magazines that talk about the SX-101s.  When my mom reminded
me of my 30 year "time capsule", and I saw what it was, my mind flashed back
to the articles.  Without them, the reassembly of the tuning gear train
would have been much more difficult and there would have likely been a few
"Mom!  Dad said a BUNCH of bad words!"  :-)

I've gotten the switches replaced/cleaned up.  Two of the toggle switches
needed replacement and I managed to find a few of the same style.  I'm going
to reinstall the front panel and I'll be able to quit worrying about busting
the dial pointer.  It will be almost the same feeling as getting the covers
on HV equipment that I had to work on while hot....I can relax just a bit.. :-)

Another question for you and/or whoever reads this....Is there a special
tool for tightening the serrated nuts that secure the toggle switches? I've
always carefully used a pair of pliers with electrical tape over the jaws,
but I have to be VERY careful to not slip and hurt myself, or worse, gouge
the paint.