Request with help/specs for a Globe Chief 90 coil --

Mike Langner mlangner at SWCP.COM
Sat Jul 4 18:25:06 EDT 2009

I'm attempting to repair a Globe Chief 90 -- among its problems is that L4,
a part of the RF output circuitry has either carried waaaay too much
current, or the person who decided it needed an internal antenna change-over
relay melted the plastic with a soldering iron.

The coil is half of a balancing network so that the transmitter can feed
either a single-ended antenna (coax fed dipole) or balanced (twin lead) fed
antenna.  The coil, what's left of it, appears to be 1 1/4 inch in diameter,
5/8 inch in length, with 16 turns of approximately 22 gauge solid tinned
wire.

At least that's what's there now.  It appears to have been Air-Dux,
Miniductor, or one of the air-wound coils with clear plastic holding the
turns in place -- two of the little clear plastic "bars" carefully melted
into the wire 180 degrees across from each other.  It's WRL Globe Chief 90
part number 1400-008.

The (thank you BAMA!) manual shows 4 plastic "bars" holding the wires in
place, not just two of them, so the destroyed coil I'm removing may very
well not be an original.  On the other hand, WRL may have changed
suppliers -- I have no idea.

Any guidance anyone can give me on reconstructing this part would be greatly
appreciated!

Many, many thanks!!

Mike/
K5MGR