De-greasers and more

Bob Jackson bob at NOFROWNS.NET
Mon Jun 22 18:04:55 EDT 2009

Fellow BA-ers ...

I've now tried the recommended 50/50 mix of ammonia and Formula 409 and have had some good results.  Being ever curious about such things, I wonder if anyone on the BA reflector has tried other de-greasers such as the automotive engine cleaners, e.g. Gunk. Also, in the past, I've used carb cleaner on things other than carbs (when cars HAD carbs). It's usually a mix of common petroleum solvents such as MEK, Acetone, and others. Has anyone had luck with any of these cleaning a dirty chassis, etc. ?

For the "more" part ...

I'm in the process of restoring a National NC-121. All is going quite well except for the main tuning mechanism. It works smoothly in right-to-left tuning (high to low freq) but quite hard in the other direction to the point of dial cord slippage. I've tried lubing the main tuning cap shaft and knob axle to no avail. Adding tension on the dial cord doesn't help. Has anyone else experienced this syndrome and how did you fix it?

73 to all,

Bob
AG5X