Weird antenna problem

Schichler, Alfred (GE EntSol, Digital Energy) Alfred.Schichler at GE.COM
Wed Jun 24 09:45:00 EDT 2009

No, the connectors are UHF (PL-259). I don't think they have the same
problem. At least the better ones don't.
The next time it happens, I plan to measure across the PL-259 in the
shack. It should read a short because of the loading coil right across
the coax at the base of the vertical. If it reads open, I'll know there
is an open circuit most likely at the lightning arrestor. Then I can try
narrowing it down to exactly where.

-----Original Message-----
From: Boat Anchor Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Al Parker
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:32 PM
To: BOATANCHORS at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Weird antenna problem

HI Al,
    Are the connectors type N?  If so, is there any physical pull on the
coax line that would tend to stretch it?.  It's possible for the center
pin of the male connector to back up into the body a little bit, thus
tending to disconnect it.
    It's happened to me with a 50ft vertical run of RG-8 size coax up a
crankup/rotatable tower to a beam.  At first it would remake the
connection with the application of RF (1kw helped best).  Then finally
nothing would help short of redoing the connector.  Because of the
crankup tower, I was unable to support the cable at intermediate points.
73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC
www.boatanchors.org
www.hammarlund.info

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats."
   Ratty, to Mole