Inrush current limiters ( ICLs)

David C. Hallam dhallam at RAPIDSYS.COM
Mon Jun 29 14:25:12 EDT 2009

I don't think inrush current limiting is too important with vacuum tube
radios using miniature type tubes.  Inrush current limiters are
resistors with a negative temperature coefficient.  If used you have to
be careful were they are installed because of the heat they generate,
not great but still some.

Line bucking transformers are another matter.  Line voltages today are
commonly 10%+ of that when these BA's were designed.  Quite often
components don't take too kindly to this increased voltage.  A 12V
transformer set up for line bucking will drop the voltage back to the
110V design voltage for old radios.

If you really want inrush current limiting, you can put a resistor and
relay in the line bucking transformer set up.

David
KC2JD/4