Inrush current limiters ( ICLs)

Greg Gore; WA1KBQ GARDGORE at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 30 18:16:25 EDT 2009

I use inrush limiters here on some stuff and in  addition to the soft start
they reduce line voltage a little also but I  especially like to run all my
receivers on variacs. I always start them at 100  and increase to 110 after
a few seconds. I suppose the correct way to do it  would be to measure
filament voltage and adjust the variac to whatever setting  produces correct
voltage at the tube filaments for each unit. Some have warned  against using
variacs due to possibility of an accident but I like them and I am  careful
with them. Vintage equipment always runs cooler when line voltage is  reduced.
I have seen cases where a power transformer would get too hot to touch
after a while on full line voltage but cool off enough to hold your hand on it
with voltage reduced to 110. The bucking transformer is probably the best
idea.  Variacs are not isolation transformers.

73, Greg

In a message  dated 6/29/2009 6:21:18 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time,