A Challenged Challenger

Alan W. Fremmer AWFremmer at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 25 11:39:08 EDT 2009

Fellow Collectors/Restorers,

I need your thoughts on this Viking Challenger.  The transmitter loads  to
190-200 ma plate current and 5 ma grid current in CW mode.  When  switched to
phone the plate current drops to 40 ma.  There is no AM,  although for a brief
period I was able to hear my voice, intelligible but  somewhat distorted, on a
nearby monitor receiver.  When I tried again a few  hours later the AM was
gone.  I measured a few voltages and the most  anomalous one was the plate of the
clamp tube modulator which shows over 500  volts when it should read 115.
Under the hood all looks O.K. with no  unusual smells or charred components.
How can I restore AM to this old  rig?  Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

73, Alan - KB2HEI
**************Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220635228x1201407499/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doub
leclick.net%2Fclk%3B213153654%3B34689672%3Bo)