Duplex Outlets - Fire hazard - TVI

David C. Hallam dhallam at RAPIDSYS.COM
Fri May 22 11:56:34 EDT 2009

Scott,

I don't want to get into a discussion of the fine points of why Al house
wiring failed in the market.  However, I was a metallurgical engineer
involved, one among many, in developing a solution to the house fire
problem.  Certain alloys were developed, Southwire's EEE and Super T
among others, that had higher cold flow resistance.

Admittedly receptacles were developed with large contact head screws and
a specified torque to break through the surface oxide layer and provide
a greater contact area.

The basic problem was still one of cold flow.

David
KC2JD/4