WTB: ARC-5 Recv & Xmtr Modulator

Paul Litwinovich paull at WSHU.ORG
Mon Nov 23 10:31:44 EST 2009

Just some fond ARC5 memories, back in 1972 when I was in high school, my
friends and I built a pirate radio station using a T15 Arc5 which was
tunable on the lower half of the AM broadcast band. The antenna was a 40 ft
very heavily coil loaded vertical with coil loaded ground radials. The
radials were horizontal for about 50 ft (across the roof)  and then went
vertical down to the ground  where they were bonded to ground rods which we
found would force quite a bit of current flow in them. The voltage on the
antenna was intense, you could pull quite and arc to a screwdriver off of
that stick. We took an H&H Scott 60 watt amp, 6L6 finals, and replaced the
output transformer with a mod transformer that we purchased at a local mil
surplus shop (remember when you could still find those!).
We got out gangbusters, covering several towns with a very usable signal on
640 kHz. Got away with it for 3 summers sunrise to sunset, making it look
like a legit daytimer to the average Joe.
Every night after we shut down, we would beat the oscillator against a
distant clear channel  to stay on frequency. We left the oscillator on 24/7
for stability.

Paul Litwinovich
Chief Engineer, WSHU AM&FM/ WSUF FM
N1MUC
PG-GB 039245

Wanted: ARC-5  80m Receiver  3-6mHz, BC-454B (or equiv.) and/or a ARC-5
Modulator MD-7 (or equiv) or a suitable modulation transformer.
Also interested in general ARC-5 stuff - What so you have?
Regards
Gordon
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/