12-24 vdc converters and toroid cores

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 5 19:12:31 EDT 2009

Most civilized civilian vehicles have 12 volt electrical systems these
days.  Much of the surplus I'd like to use aboard my all to civilized
Jeep requires 24vdc.  Building a small but mighty astable
multivibrator to handle the primary and an appropriately wound
secondary aren't a problem.  Where I do have a question or seventeen
is core material - and size, for that matter.

I know some materials are expressly for power transformers but is
there any particular reason about any material can't be used for this
application?  Frequency shouldn't be an issue but are there materials
that might not like being in the presence of the currents that will be
presented?  Aside from needing space to feed the wires through, are
there any size requirements of note?

I've read what I could find on the web.  Maybe the meds are messing me
up (They do that, you know.) but I couldn't find anything that
addressed these questions.

ANy thoughts anyone?

BEst regards,

Michael, WH7HG