FS: Hallicrafters S38-D

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Thu Jul 22 01:33:17 EDT 2010

Hate to sell this but really have to thin the herd. Thought I would offer it to
the group before placing it on Ebay.

I picked up this S38-D several years ago with the intent to restore it some day
- a bit of a nostalgia kick as a good buddy had one when we were new hams back
in high school.  Pictures are available at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bob.groh/HallicraftersS38D?feat=directlink

Generally this radio seems to be in totally original condition and in quite
reasonable shape. I can't see any missing parts or any indication that anyone
has been mucking around inside it. It has the original cardboard back and bottom
and the labels are still in good shape. The speaker (mounted inside on the top)
seems to be in good condition.

The paint job is scratched up and the metal bezel really needs to be pulled,
cleaned up and repainted (the paint has bubbled up some) but the case is
straight and unbent.  All the controls work freely.  The dial cord is broken and
will need to be replaced and restrung.

As for all these old radios, I would replace the ac power cord, all the
electrolytics, check the resistors for correct value and check the other caps
also.  I would also lube all the controls, put cleaner on the switch contacts,
etc. I think this radio will respond nicely to a bit of TLC and should make a
fine little radio.

Price: $35  plus S+H (email for shipping quote)

If interested or you would like more information, please contact me off list.

Thanks.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY