Power Tube Life Question

Paul Litwinovich paull at WSHU.ORG
Wed Mar 17 10:00:53 EDT 2010

Most broadcast tubes are Thoriated Tungsten direct heated cathodes and your
amp is really no different than an AM transmitter's modulator. The standard
procedure that we follow is to run the tubes at rated filament for the first
100 hours when installing a new tube. This helps the getter degas any
remaining O2 that may be in the tube. We then reduce filament voltage by
5-10%, on a FM transmitter we check to see that we can make at least 110%
rated power so that we have sufficient head room to allow for dips in line
voltage etc. On AM transmitters we look to see that we are making the proper
positive modulation peaks. If not, we increase filament voltage enough to
make it happen. So I would translate this into checking the amp's output
with a scope for clipping at your required power output. That done, run it
that way until you see an indication that the tube is nearing the end of
life, then increase the filament voltage in steps up to +10% until you have
squeezed all of the useful life out of it

Below is a link to a very good white paper on the subject:

http://www.bext.com/filament.htm

Hope this helps
Paul A. Litwinovich
Director of Engineering