OT: Text to Speech, Speech to Text software

Michael Tauson wh7hg.hi at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 24 09:08:52 EDT 2010

As some of you know, my daughter has a number of disorders brought on
by a failing autoimmune system - not AIDS but runaway attacking
perfectly healthy nerve tissue.  One of the problems is that she's
losing her eyesight without which her primary means of communications
- her computer - is taken away.  The speech apps built into Windoze
are [phrase deleted due to G rating of the lists] but that is what
could be expected as a MS accessory.  Her preference for text to
speech is the AT&T Natural Voices and apps that can use them but we
both know that's out of the question simply due to cost.  I think a -1
or -2 version of Dragon Naturally Speaking should be able to handle
speech to text fairly well but even that's not cheap.

Thus far, we've found no one ready to donate any of this software to
her or even make it available at a significantly reduced rate.  If
anyone knows of a way to acquire the preferred software or can
recommend something that will work until we can find them, I'd greatly
appreciate knowing about it.

Mahalo nui loa for your kokua.

Best regards,

Michael, WH7HG