[Milsurplus] can anyone id the radio used on this clipper?

Mike Hanz aaf-radio-1 at AAFRADIO.ORG
Fri Mar 26 11:09:29 EDT 2010

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
> Looks like it would've been quite an adventure to fly in one of those
> clippers. Wonder how many, if any, survive today?

None of the Boeing 314s in the youtube clip survive, unfortunately.
Flying boats have a short airframe lifetime because of corrosion in any
case, so keeping them in the air is a real battle between the owner and
salt water.  Those used in a fresh water environment fare a bit better,
but they tend to be a lot smaller than the Pacific Clippers.

> Kermit Weeks has one
> of the remaining Short Sunderlands, but I've never heard of any of the
> big Boeings or Sikorskys anywhere. Do you have one stashed somewhere
> at NASM Mike?

Afraid not, Todd.  You know of anyone who would grant one to the Museum?
:-P

73,
Mike