Testing 845 Tubes

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 9 15:43:12 EDT 2010

Please excuse the multiple list coverage -

In sorting through and clearing out excess radio stuff, I've come
across a stash of these tubes from many years ago. Some are supposedly
NOS, a few are clearly labeled as used. Most are RCA, some that appear
new are Amperex.

How does one go about testing these big bottles in a simple but
reliable fashion? I don't have a transmitter or audio amp to pop them
into to test thoroughly, which limits me to checking for the obvious:
continuity, opens, or direct shorts.

I've passed a few of the used examples to friends over the years with
zero problems, but times have changed and I'd feel better being able
to more accurately describe what I'm selling.

Barring a method to check them myself, is there anyone around Raleigh
NC with a rig I could test these in? Happy to pay a 'per tube' fee, of
course.

TNX -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4