BA Front Panel touchup

Schichler, Alfred (GE Energy Services) Alfred.Schichler at GE.COM
Fri Sep 10 10:55:22 EDT 2010

I have an HQ-170A that I'm trying to refurbish. It doesn't have to look
perfect, but I want it to look good enough for me to be proud of it.

Anyway, I have the front panel looking pretty good after cleaning it,
repainting the outside edges, lightly sanding the front edges around the
whole panel, and then waxing and buffing the whole front of it.

The problem is there is one small area (about 3/4 X 1/4 inch) that has
slight rust and pitting. I tried touching it up with a brush, using some
paint that I found off the shelf, which is very close.
(It's actually spray paint, but I sprayed some in the cap and used a
brush)

After that dried, I polished that area and waxed it, but it is still
very noticeable and catches my eye because it's not real smooth or even.
I was hoping it would blend in a little better. I was wondering if
anyone knows a better touchup method I could use that would blend in
better, but wouldn't be so complicated that I would need all kinds of
additional equipment, materials and time.
I should probably sand down the area, but I don't want to make it into a
much bigger area than it is. I was thinking maybe I should wet-sand the
paint after it dries, and then polish it, but again, I don't want to
make it into an enormous job. (I also don't want to end up taking too
much existing paint off the front panel. I don't think it's all that
thick).

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al, WA2AS