[Boatanchors] OT Hickok Tube Tester Question

Bob Jackson bob at nofrowns.net
Fri Dec 16 18:12:10 EST 2011

Just got my first Hickok tube tester (600A) and am a bit confused about testing for Gm. The manual says the English dial has three settings that set the Gm range on the meter: 73, 86 & 92 - 0-3000, 0-6000 and 0-12000 resp. However, many of the tubes specify a very different English setting, e.g. 13 for a 6SK7 ("good" Gm of 2000 in the data book). Using 13 and pressing button P4, the meter needle not only pegs, it vibrates. Resetting the English dial back to 73 (0-3000 range) doesn't send the needle to the peg. Can someone tell me when to use the three range settings and when to use the other settings? HELP??

Bob  AG5X