[Boatanchors] Feb 1964 CQ?

doc at kd4e.com doc at kd4e.com
Wed Feb 16 16:33:07 EST 2011

I received this message privately so I will not add the sender's
name/call/E-mail address, but this was his expressed concern:

Inverted DSB was used as a form of encryption to prevent someone
with a BFO from copying the signals.
Later they went with independent DSB and inverted the audio and
split part of it in each side band. This required a very special
demodulator. They also had the sidebands offset so that they could
also put in normal ISB signals and a RTTY  signal. So in one
transmission there was an encrypted voice, one RTTY, maybe 2 and
two other voice channels.

I am wondering if the same descriptive label was applied to two
somewhat different modulation schemes and thus the confusion.

What do you think of the circuit and is there any reason to
believe that a 6JH8 would not work as well as a 7360 in that
circuit?

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com