[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jan 17 00:50:43 EST 2011

Well, George, it looks like no one has anything to offer about boatanchor receiver design.
They want to argue about ARRL. I'd rather talk about early 1920's receivers and even those
before. It seems to me that people had problems breaking old habits, such as single conversion
designs with low frequency IF. A good receiver had to have 2 RF amplifiers for image rejection.
   I am still impressed by some of the knowledge they had in the early spark era. Many had a good
understanding of resonance and impedance matching. Look at what Hertz accomplised. I bet very
few know what the "Hertz Effect" is. He discovered it by accident while doing his RF experiments  using
a calibrated spark gap as a receiver. He made the first Beam antenna. Now today most people think beam
antenna means Yagi but any antenna that produces a "beam" is a beam antenna. He uses a parabolic
reflector in some experiments.

73
Bill wa4lav