[Boatanchors] Receiver Technology

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Fri Jan 14 16:03:04 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Wilson Lamb wrote:

> I wrote the following message after giving some local talks that reminded
> me there were some years not well represented in my view of receiver
> evolution.
> Looking back like this, I'd say we were not innovative at all and that we
> suffered with poor receivers that were hard to tune above 40m for too many
> years.  There's nothing in the 75A-1 that couldn't have been built in
> 1920!

I recently read a copy of QST for the first time in a few years.  In it (Jan
2011 or Feb 2011 maybe?) was a light weight article about the HRO and the
demand for change that drove its design.  The article is lightweight to the
point of being useless but it has references to articles from the thirties
and twenties that might be worth finding.

Come to that, every article in that issue of QST was light weight.  Can't
anybody read anything longer than two pages anymore?

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn