[Boatanchors] SP-600 v. R-390A

Al Parker anchor at ec.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 10:34:56 EST 2011

Hi Bob,
	YOu've probably opened up a real can of worms ;-)  This subject, plus
the general "what's best of all rcvrs?" gets worked over regularly on
various lists.
	YOur last question first -- Almost all of both rcvrs were bought by the
US govt (various agencies), and were bought as rack mount.  There
probably were more SP-600's supplied with cabinets, but still very few.
  Yes, cabinets are available, but they are deeper than most by a cupl
inches.  They both will fit the same cabinet.
	The R-390A design is at least 10 yrs newer than the SP-600, and the
designs are quite different.  The 390 is probably a little more
sensitive than the SP-600, and you "know" what freq. your hearing much
better as it's dial readout (390) mechanically digital.  The R-390(A) is
a pain to band cruise with, the SP-600 is easy.  The SP-600 has less
tubes, is, over the span of 5-10 years, less requiring of maintenance
attn, assuming each is in good condition to start.  Both will probably
have required some attn to put into good (close to spec) condition.
	That's a very short summary, it kinda boils down to what you want to do
with the receiver.
	You'll get lots of opinions, YMMV.
73,

Al, W8UT
www.boatanchors.org
www.hammarlund.info

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole