[Boatanchors] Question for Capacitor Color Bands

Skip Simmons skip at skipsimmonsamps.com
Fri Jan 28 12:13:27 EST 2011

Hello All-  The color codes for all kinds of obscure capacitors are
always listed in vintage electronics books. Radio-TV repair manuals,
ARRL books, and self-teaching electronics course from the fifties are
common and very informative. I am sure that many of the oldtimers on
this list have them available from time to time.

  Vintage guitar collectors have been known to pay dearly for the
EXACT capacitor (usually .02-200v) that was used in a precious vintage
guitar.

  "Bumblebee" is a newbie name for the common Sprague Black Beauty cap
that used stripes instead of letters to denote the cap's specs.  They
almost always leak DC and they are rarely anywhere near the rated
capacitance, so test them carefully before using.

Skip Simmons
http://www.skipsimmonsamps.com/
Skip Simmons Amp Repair
707-678-5705