[Boatanchors] Hammarlund SSB filter needed

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 10:27:52 EDT 2011

I got to looking at the soldering job on the case of the filter.  Methinks the QC inspector was on vacation that week!  So, I went ahead and opened the filter.  It is a 6-pole and there were 5 passive components on the board along with the crystals.  I replaced the 2 capacitors and 3 resistors and then resoldered the circuit board.

The attenuation went from almost 40 dB to about 6 dB and the filter now works fine.  I really don't know if the problem was one of the passive components or the soldering.  However, less than 50 cents worth of parts and it is now working.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

--- On Fri, 7/29/11, John Hurst <hurstjsj at verizon.net> wrote:

Hi Glen. This happened to me on my HX-50 back in 1966 or so. I opened the filter and found one bad crystal. I bypassed the crystal and it seemed to work pretty well (for an HX-50).

More information about the Boatanchors mailing list