[Boatanchors] Making Stable Inductors for 2 MHz

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Tue Jun 28 21:20:20 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm working on a LORAN-A simulator for the DAS-1 on the MASSACHUSETTS and
have a design question.

Background:  LORAN-A transmitted 30-40 uS pulses, carefully times, on
about 1800 to 2100 KHz. I have the timing =ssues solved.

'm now looking at building a stable, keyed oscillator in the above
frequency range. My intention is to use a SS Hartley or Colpitts.

The frequency stability requirement is not great... about +/- 5 KHz, but
this is larger than can be achieved with ferrite cores I've looked at,
which are > 0.05% / deg. C.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of an air core inductor, maybe 1/2" x 1 1/2"
with roughly 120 T of #30.

Best,

-John