[Boatanchors] PERMANIC Microphone

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Wed Mar 9 21:43:14 EST 2011

Hello !

Let me guess.

Early broadcast dynamic microphones used a DC current operated field coil to
make the magnetic field.

Indeed, in the very early days, this current would cause the microphone to
become quite warm, hence the phrase "hot mic!"

I bet this is what you have.  If so, it's a great part of broadcasting
history!!

Mike/
K5MGR

(lifelong broadcast engineer -- my career started in 1958!)

Mike Langner
929 Alameda Road NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114-1901

(505) 898-3212 home/home office