[Boatanchors] Printed Matter Still Cheaper at the USPS ?

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 22:26:08 EST 2011

This topic seems to come up every couple of months.

People just don't believe that the Post Office can be so restrictive!

Here are the regulations concerning Media Mail, Library Mail, etc.

http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/classes/packageServices.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q370.htm

http://www.ehow.com/info_7746646_usps-media-mail-law.html

Doing a "Google" on Media Mail turns up all sorts of discussions of the advertising restriction on quite a few discussion forums which have absolutely nothing to do with amateur radio.  Basically, everyone is astonished that the Post Office basically does not allow advertising in items sent by Media Mail.  There are a couple of exceptions having to do with future editions of books and post cards inserted in books.  However, all advertising of products, except editions of books published by the book publisher, is prohibited.

Again, I think that this policy, where advertisements that are decades old are concerned, is asinine.  Unfortunately, the "powers that be" don't agree with me!

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com