[Boatanchors] new addition to the Charlotte Symposium

w4ron at carolina.rr.com w4ron at carolina.rr.com
Sun Oct 23 05:29:54 EDT 2011

Check out the latest updates to the Speakers list for
the 2012 Charlotte International Cryptologic Symposium;

Dates March 22, 23, 24 - 2012

Ron Lawrence will open the Crypto Symposium with a short talk about all the events going on in the hotel and about radio collecting and how this came about.

The line up of speakers continues: New additions :

Dr. Nicholas Gessler Ph.D., Research Associate, Information Science & Information Studies, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Link to Nick's Website: ..cryptology.htm

Nick will be bringing the following cryptologic items:
Swiss: NEMA
Soviet: Fialka
Seimens "Cypher Scrambling Machine" M-190 with T-100Z
Kryha
Joseph Grassi's "CryptoCode" machine

Swedish: Kryapp 101, Kryapp 301

Hebern Single Rotor machine
M-209, CSP-1500
Cook Cryptograph
Hagelin C-52, CX-52, BC-543, CD-57
Various burst encoders
British SYKO strip cipher
US Navy CSP-845 strip cipher
US Army M-138-A strip cipher

M-94s
Kripto System Beyer
Variety of rotors: Enigma, Fialka, various other Soviet models.
Variety of disks: Nicolas Bion, Cosovo, Heliograph, GRA-71
Variety of slide rules: US Navy CSP-1756,
West German pseudo-random key generator
Variety of Soviet key guns.
Rowlett papers...
Various codebooks
"Green 33" key-word-in-context printout
Grille: German "Rasterschlussel Bild"

Abstract: We will begin with some of the earliest cryptologic devices known, the disk ciphers. You are probably familiar with them as the Radio Orphan Annie, Captain Midnight and Dick Tracy decoders or the paper disks that once adorned the backs of cereal boxes.
The ancient books on secret messages, dating from the 15th Century, carried simmilar illustrations, some even with working cipher disks, paper circles pivoting on silk threads.
We will look at some of the early writings of Trimethius, Alberti, Bellaso and Vigenere to understand not just the basics of cryptology, but also the complications that evolved that led to the highly sophisticated mechanical, electromechanical and electronic methods that other speakers will elaborate upon.
We will look at what might be the earliest known (non-paper) cipher device: a silver disk made by Nicolas Bion, instrument-maker for King Louis XIV of France, whose chief cryptographer was Antoine Rossignol, the founder of the famous cabinet noir at Versailles. Old technologies never quite die, and so we'll conclude with some examples as recent as Kosovo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Bio: Debbie Anderson, daughter of Joe Desch the man who designed the US Navy Cryptanalytic Bombe, is speaking and showing the documentary :
"The Dayton Codebreakers"

A documentary film, Dayton Codebreakers began airing on public television stations throughout the country April 2, 2006.

The film tells the story of Joseph Desch, NCR engineer, and a top secret codebreaking operations in Dayton during WWII. By Debbie Anderson, (Desch)

Debbie recounted that this photo of her father was taken 15 July 1943, the day we know Alan Turing was at NCR.

Bio: John Alexander a collector from the UK:

Will be speaking and offering some views of his Crypto equipment.

For 16 years I was a local police officer with Leicestershire Constabulary. After that I went back to University and trained as a school teacher.

About 18 years ago I began collecting Cipher Systems. These are fascinating in their engineering and use. To open up some rare old machine and get a blast of oil, grease and metal is wonderful. However, at no time in my working life have I ever had access to / use of such systems.

>From 2003 to 2011 I had an exhibition at Bletchley Park as 'Enigma and Friends' where I set out to put Enigma into context alongside other systems from the 20th Century.

As a rule of thumb, I consider Enigma models (there are so many) as being in use circa 1920 to 1980 - so there are plenty of contemporary systems to find. Some I will never be permitted access to and this is quite correct. I do what I can.

Regards,

John Alexander
Llb Hons. BSc Hons .......

John Alexander was a major organizer of the Enigma Reunion at Bletchley Park England in 2009.

Bio: Richard Brisson: Canada,

Richard Brisson is a graduate from the University of Ottawa
(B.Sc. Math-Physics in 1978 and M.Sc Systems Science in 1980.
Upon graduation, he was hired by the Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) from which he recently retired. His career at CSEC largely involved duties that encompassed various fields of Mathematics and Computer Science - he is also a graduate of NSA's 3-year Cryptologic Mathematics Program. Over the last 20 years, he has been collecting vintage cryptographic and clandestine artifacts dating up to and including the Cold War.

His career at CSEC largely involved duties that encompassed various fields of Mathematics and Computer Science - he is also a graduate of NSA's 3-year Cryptologic Mathematics Program. Over the last 20 years, he has been collecting vintage cryptographic and clandestine artifacts dating up to and including the Cold War.
He has had a number of partnerships in the display of artifacts including the Diefenbunker (Cold War Bunker in Ottawa), National Museum of Science and Technology (in Ottawa), and the National Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade.

Richard will be offering these talks during the symposium:

a) Developing a Proof-of-Concept Small-Scale Museum on Cryptology and Espionage

b) A Snapshot of Canada and the Cryptologic History - Yardley, Gouzenko, Tutte.

c) Cryptologic Museology in Canada - War Museum, Military Communications and Electronics Museum - RCMP, CSIS, CSEC

d) Cryptologic Toys Exhibit at the National Cryptologic Museum

Bio: Jim Oram of enigma-replica.com will be speaking on:
" Restoration techniques of the Enigma"

Jim will present the "Bletchley Park 70th Enigma Reunion" video made on his 2009 trip the Bletchley.
* 	Inside Bletchley Park itself, with the historical features.
* 	The Turing Bombe in operation, with inside views.
* 	The Colossus Mark II, in operation, with all inside views of 2500 tubes and     special cooling system.
* 	The Turing Memorial .
* 	Views of the 'HUTS' .
* 	The Lancaster Bomber flyover .

This 35 minute video is all about Bletchley Park and the return of Codebreaking Veterans including Mavis Lever - the young girl who broke the Italian Enigma cipher which led to the battle of Cape MataPan in March 1941.
The session includes showing of a presentation on restoration process.

Jim, photo taken at NCM

BletchleyBletchley Park Video by.... Jim Oram : 35 min

Video includes Tony Sale and Colossus operating
A01806/bac/44E A1214 ~Italian Navy ~1932

Bio: Jerry McCarthy - United Kingdom

Jerry's day job is to write software, in areas such as cryptography and internationalization, for a global computing company.
Jerry is not rich enough to be a full-time cryptocollector, but is interested in crypto simulation techniques, which allow virtual acquisition of crypto hardware without needing to find the space to store it. Jerry's house is definitely not big enough for a Colossus!

Computerized simulation techniques of various Crypto systems.

He will discuss Zygalski sheets, an early Polish method of cracking the Enigma, a simulator for the 3-rotor Enigma, and a simulator for the SZ42/Tunny machine. It must be emphasized that these simulators are by no means the only ones available; in particular, there are many fine simulators for Enigma machines which can be found on line.

The simulators to be discussed, and demonstrated later on during the symposium, have been written to be somewhat educational; they show such things as how the wiring changes as the rotors of an Enigma rotate, and how the math of the SZ42/Tunny machine works.

Also to be discussed and demonstrated will be a simulator for the Fialka (a very interesting Russian Enigma-like) machine, which was written by Mr V.V. Chernov of Ukraine; the discussion and demonstration of this simulator take place with Mr Chernov's permission.

NEW ADDITION FROM THE NSA/CSS

Dr. David Hatch Senior Historian of NSA's Center for Cryptologic History and Bill Williams have confirmed and all the arrangements are in place for the display of a SIGABA Machine at the Charlotte International Cryptologic Symposium.

See the SIGABA machine at the Symposium!

SIGABA, a US cipher machine based on the rotor principle was developed in the late 1930s as a combined effort of the US Army and Navy.

At the time it was considered a superior cryptomachine, intended to keep high-level communications absolutely secure. It was so reliable that it was used throughout the 1950s, the KL7 replaced it.

As far as it is known, SIGABA was never broken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bio: Ron Lawrence welcome and introductions.

Ron Lawrence w4ron is President of the Carolinas Chapter of the
Antique Wireless Association and also Chairman of their annual
conference "Antique Radio Charlotte" for more than 25 years.
He has been a antique radio collector for more than 40 years
having bought his first old radio while still in high school.
He was trained in US Air Force Crypto maintenance in the
early 70s.
He's been a Ham Radio operator for just over 20 years.
He got interested in Enigma machines after meeting Jim Oram
when they both worked for the same company.
He assisted Jim in the restoration of A17105 for the National
Cryptologic Museum.
He got the idea for hosting a meeting of crypto collectors
and historians during "Antique Radio Charlotte" after the
subject of having a U.S. Crypto conference was discussed on the Crypto Collectors YahooGroup email reflector.

Start making your plans NOW, the conference registration page
has all the information you'll need to get your pre-registrations
in and save a few bucks over the at the door price.
http://www.cc-awa.org/Registration-2012.html

Th Symposium will be a "conference within a conference"
It will be part of Antique Radio Charlotte, one registration
will give you admission to all parts of both events.
This will truly be a historic event. DON'T MISS IT!!!

--
73, RON w4ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html