[Boatanchors] FW: Replacing the 6AU6 with a 6AH6 in the Heath VF-1 VFO

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Thu Dec 13 11:40:10 EST 2012

I had the same frequency-jumping problem.

In my VF-1 as a teen-ager (I'm now 70) I fixed it by hauling out my
grandfather's American Beauty monster soldering iron and re-heating the
trimmer tabs the were soldered to the vfo chassis.

Apparently my then Weller 100 watt or so soldering iron couldn't keep up
with the heat sinking ability of the chassis.

After flowing solder well with the "tinner's iron" which as I recall is what
the American Beauty was called -- it was used for soldering sheet metal
seams -- the vfo never jumped frequency again!

The American Beauty, which now resides in my garage workshop, is almost as
big as a rolling pin -- and takes lots of lots of time to heat up and cool
down.  Sometimes nothing beats the heat storing ability of a really big
copper tip!

Mike/
K5MGR

Mike Langner