[Boatanchors] [Glowbugs] SPOTTED: GONSET G-76

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 19:34:43 EST 2012

Ah "hybrid modules" - the bane of the 1970s! A lot of companies used those in organs and
other gadgets I serviced back then. Those secret, "Giant Integrated Circuits" before the tiny
DIPs on 0.1" centres were invented, or in widespread use. If one died you were almost dead
in the water. Seems like Lowrey used them. Maybe for oscillators or keying switches.
I worked as a test engineer for a company that used PHILBRICKS in some pretty fine signal
recovery equipment in the very early 1970s, and they also made their own "ICs" using two
pieces of PC board spaced about 1" apart with vertical wires and parts in between them, to
form a cube of components. Tricky stuff. Once they potted those things you were left to your
imagination to figure out the differential amplifiers, comparators, summing amplifiers and
other mystery circuits inside! Give me tubes any day!

73 de AF4K, Bry

On 28 Feb 2012 at 17:17, Paul Mateer wrote:

Wish I still had mine! The RX went out and it was that hybred module in it I think

--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.