[Boatanchors] FW: repair of ceramic tubes

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Thu May 3 17:45:45 EDT 2012

Hello !

There are several facilities that rebuild ceramic tubes -- unfortunately to
the best of my knowledge they limit their work to thoriated tungsten and
pure tungsten (few that they are anymore) filament tubes, and don't rebuild
barium oxide cathode tubes.

The 4CX1000A is a barium oxide cathode type, as is, if I recall, the
5CX1500.  Generally everything larger is thoriated tungsten, and everything
smaller -- 4CX250B, 4CX300A, etc. is barium oxide.

So yes, several folks rebuild ceramic tubes, but not the 4CX1000A unless one
has (unlikely) just started.

ECONCO in California is the most famous domestic rebuilder, Freeland Labs in
Louisiana is second.

In the world of broadcasting we use both of these guys all the time!

Good luck!

Mike/
K5MGR

Mike Langner